Student Employment

Student Hiring Improvement Project - Phase I Release

GTHR is excited to rollout the project's Phase 1. We have launched a pilot program with four campus units for the future-state student hiring process, revamped this Student Employment web page, and created new resources for both hiring departments and student employees.

You will find new resources marked with this green staricon on the resource pages. Below is a full list of the new resources. 

New Resources for Student Employees

  • Student 2021 Payroll Calendar 
  • Summer 2021 Hiring Timeline 
  • "Understanding Your Pay Statement" Resource Guide 

New Resources For Hiring Departments

  • Summer 2021 Hiring Timelines 
  • Updated Welcome Letters
  • Student Communications Archive
  • Updated Student Employment Website


Student Employee Types


These students are considered Student Assistants. They can perform many jobs within your office such as clerical support, web development, etc.

Graduate Student


These employees can be categorized as:
Graduate Research Assitants (GRAs)
Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs)
Graduate Assistants (GAs)
Student Assitants 

GRAs and GTAs are typically hired by the graduate schools to perform assistantships that are related with the student’s degree. Graduate Assistants and Student Assistants can be hired to perform tasks within your department such as clerical support, web development, etc.
More information regarding appointment of and approvals for hiring GRAsGTAs and GAs can be obtained through the Graduate Studies Office and the Office of Academic Affairs.
Student Assistants


Federal Work Study (FWS

These positions are federal financial aid awards that allow students to earn money for educational expenses while also gaining valuable work experience. Note that FWS students cannot be employed in multiple jobs while in a FWS position. 

Students will need to be assigned a non-FWS category if: 

  • They were offered a FWS award and declined it 
  • All of the award funding for academic year has been received 
  • Award period has ended 

For additional information on how to apply for an award or obtain a FWS position on campus, visit the FWS website

International Students

Students with a F-1 or J-1 visa are eligible to work anywhere on campus as student employees. They will need to maintain a full course load and can work no more than 20 hours per week during the term. For more information, contact Global HR.

Other Types

Visiting Research