The Staff Tuition Reimbursement Assistance Program (STRAP) is an educational assistance program that provides partial tuition reimbursement for classified Georgia Tech employees at any accredited private Institution.
Note: Due to COVID-19 and many employees working from home, we have provided instructions below for how to electronically sign your STRAP application and how your supervisor and department head can electronically sign your STRAP application. You will still need to email the final application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How to sign your application electronically (Applicants)
- How to sign the TAP application electronically (Supervisors)
Now that we have migrated to OneUSG Connect, please ensure that your application has your new employee ID which can be found in Employee Self Service.
This program is available to classified Georgia Tech employees who are full-time (1.0 FTE) and have successfully completed at least twelve (12) months of employment in a benefits-eligible position at the time of application. Time worked in a temporary position does not count toward the 12-month eligibility requirement.
Each eligible employee may seek approval to enroll in up to six (6) academic hours depending on funding for each of the three designated semester periods: fall, spring, and summer. If funding is not sufficient to cover all approved applications, they will be funded on a first submitted and approved basis. Employees will only be reimbursed tuition for completed courses on their STRAP application. Fees are not eligible for reimbursement. The current reimbursement rates are as follows:
- Undergraduate: $203 per credit hour
- Graduate: $287 per credit hour
An employee will be required to go through the regular student admissions process prior to applying for STRAP. Coursework may be either job or career-related, or for a career that is found on campus. A career-related course has an understandable connection with the career or job the employee might reasonably expect to pursue at Tech.
Approved programs include degree and diploma programs as well as certifications that offer credit hours and letter grades.
Program exclusions include Medical designations (doctor, dentist, veterinarian, etc.), law, non-credit continuing education, executive total cost programs, student fees, and program-specific fees.
An application must be completed each semester and will be accepted as early as 30 days prior to the deadline date of the semester you’re applying for. If STRAP participants enroll in classes other than those listed on the STRAP application, you must send an email to our office notifying us of the change within 30 days of when your class starts, prior to submitting reimbursement documents.
An application may be denied due to lack of funding and late submission of application. Any falsification or misrepresentation of information will result in the denial of tuition reimbursement.
- Apply for school through the Student Admissions office of the private institution you plan to take academic coursework at during their designated application intake dates.
- Complete the STRAP application. If you are unsure of the courses you are taking, put your best guess. It can be changed later. If classes do change, send an email to email@example.com with the updated classes within 30 days from the class change. You cannot request reimbursement if classes on your transcript do not match what is on your application. Applications can be sent via campus mail, emailed or dropped off at Georgia Tech Human Resources by the deadline date.
- Campus mail instructions - Address to "STRAP Coordinator, Mail code 0435"
- Email instructions - Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop off instructions - Deliver to Georgia Tech Human Resources, 500 Tech Parkway. You may leave with customer service.
- Applications are accepted as early as 30 days prior to the deadline date of the semester you are applying for. If the deadline date falls on a holiday or weekend, the application deadline will be the last business day prior. Semesters are based on GT semesters. When you complete your application, make sure the classes you are taking at your accredited institution fall within the GT semester dates for which you are applying STRAP. View PDF on GT semester dates.
- After you submit your STRAP application, you will receive an email acknowledging receipt and further instructions. Save this email for your records.
- Approval emails will be sent via email approximately 30 days after the application deadline date.