The Staff Tuition Reimbursement Assistance Program (STRAP) is an educational assistance program that provides partial tuition reimbursement for classified Georgia Tech employees at any accredited private Institution.
This program is available to classified Georgia Tech employees who are full-time (1.0 FTE) and have successfully completed at least twelve (12) months of employment in a benefits-eligible position at the time of application. Time worked in a temporary position does not count toward the 12-month eligibility requirement.
Each eligible employee may seek approval to enroll in up to six (6) academic hours depending on funding for each of the three designated semester periods: fall, spring and summer. If funding is not sufficient to cover all approved applications, they will be funded on a first submitted and approved basis. Employees will only be reimbursed tuition for completed courses on their STRAP application. Fees are not eligible for reimbursement. The current reimbursement rates are as follows:
- Undergraduate: $203.00 per credit hour
- Graduate: $287.00 per credit hour
An employee will be required to go through the regular student admissions process prior to applying for STRAP. Coursework may be either job or career related, or for a career that is found on campus. A career-related course has an understandable connection with the career or job the employee might reasonably expect to pursue at Tech.
Excluded coursework includes HVAC certification (only core courses are covered: math, computer science, etc., are eligible). Technical courses, medical designations (doctor, dentist, veterinarian, etc.), and law are excluded. Non-credit continuing education, certificate, and executive/premier programs are also ineligible.
An application must be completed each semester and will be accepted as early as 30 days prior to the deadline date of the semester you’re applying for. If STRAP participants enroll in classes other than those listed on the STRAP application, you must send an email to our office notifying us of the change within 30 days of when your class starts, prior to submitting reimbursement documents.
Application may be denied due to lack of funding and late submission of application. Any falsification or misrepresentation of information will result in the denial of tuition reimbursement.
Complete a STRAP application (available on Forms page) and have your supervisor sign and date.
- Do not leave any fields blank. Include your employee ID# which can be found on your paycheck in TechWorks. (Do not list your GTID#). Be sure to include your assigned Georgia Tech email address. Under "Current Term," write the semester you are applying for. Blank fields on your application may cause your application to be denied.
- Applications are accepted as early as 30 days prior to the deadline date of the semester you are applying for. Emailed applications and copies are not accepted. If any of these dates fall on a holiday or on a weekend, the application deadline will be the last business day prior to the dates identified below.Semesters are based on GT semesters. When you complete your application, make sure the classes you are taking at your accredited institution fall within the GT semester dates for which you are applying STRAP. View the GT academic calendar.
- Shortly after you deliver your STRAP application, you will receive an email acknowledging receipt. Save this email for your records. While you may rely on campus mail, you are strongly encouraged to hand-deliver your application to OHR to ensure receipt.
- Approval information will be sent via email approximately 30 days after the application deadline.