The Shared Sick Leave Program allows employees to donate their unused sick leave to a pool where it can be used by other Georgia Tech employees who have used all of their accumulated paid leave, but are experiencing serious health conditions.
Only regular benefits-eligible employees who have completed their Board of Regents provisional period can donate to the Shared Leave Program.
- A minimum donation of eight (8) sick leave hours is required to become a leave pool member.
- An employee must have a minimum of forty (40) sick leave hours remaining after their donation.
- Minimums are pro-rated for part-time employees
- Click here to view a Shared Sick Leave overview presentation
Requesting Leave from the Pool
To request a donation from the shared sick leave pool an employee should complete a Shared Sick Leave Request Form and also have an FMLA Medical Certification on file with Georgia Tech Human Resources Benefits.
- Medical Certifications are not required when employees are on leave due to childbirth.
- A shared leave recipient cannot receive shared sick leave along with other short- or long-term income protection benefits (such as SSI, Disability, Workers Compensation, etc.)
- Any unused shared sick leave not used by a recipient for a qualifying illness or injury will be forfeited to the shared leave pool.
- Completed forms should be uploaded to the GTHR – Benefits Extended Leave Team Confidential Dropbox by clicking HERE.