All benefits-eligible employees must take action for 2020
Oct 10, 2019 | Atlanta, GA
With the year coming to a close, it is a good time to review what worked well in 2019 and what not did not - including your benefits!
The opportunity to make changes begins in just a few weeks with Open Enrollment running from Monday, October 28 through Friday, November 8.
It is important to know this is an active open enrollment which requires action. You must make benefit elections in order to have coverage in 2020. You can begin to review 2020 options and plan changes by visiting https://usg.edu/hr/benefits.
There are two significant changes to be aware of:
- Working Spouse Surcharge: There will be a surcharge of $100 per month applied to spouses covered under the plan who work and receive an offer of coverage through their place of employment.
- As part of this change, the “Employee + Child” coverage tier is changing to “Employee + Children.”
- In 2020, an employee covering two or more children without a spouse can enroll in the “Employee + Child(ren)” tier and pay less than they would today in the “Family” tier.
- Tobacco Surcharge: A $100/per month tobacco surcharge will be added to your monthly premium if you (and/or any of your dependents) use tobacco products.
- Employees and dependents age 18 and older covered by a USG medical plan are required to certify tobacco use.
- Free smoking cessation classes and support are offered by Georgia Tech, Anthem, and Kaiser.
- Once an employee or dependent is tobacco-free, a certification can be completed, and the surcharge will be removed the first of the following month.
Additional information will be mailed to home addresses in the coming weeks.
The annual Benefits Fair will take place on Tuesday, Nov. 5, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom.
To view premium changes and full benefits guide you can visit: https://www.usg.edu/assets/hr/benefits_docs/2020_USG_Comparison_Guide.10.2019.pdf