A Student Employee is a part-time employee who is currently enrolled in at least a half-time credit load at Georgia Tech with the primary goal of achieving a degree. A Student Employee is considered a temporary employee and is not eligible for benefits. If an undergraduate student is enrolled for 6 credit hours they will be exempt from FICA. If a graduate student is enrolled for 4 credit hours, they will be exempt from FICA. The student FICA exception will not apply to students who are not enrolled in classes during school breaks of more than 5 weeks (including summer breaks of more than 5 weeks). If a student employee does not meet the enrollment hours requirement, they will automatically be enrolled in the Georgia Defined Contribution Plan (GDCP) for temporary employees and subject to a 7.5% deduction and the 1.45% Medicare portion of FICA. There is no employer matching contribution for GDCP; however, there is a matching 1.45% employer Medicare contribution. It is allowable that Georgia Tech hire enrolled students within the University System of Georgia.
There are three categories in which a student can be classified: Graduate, Undergraduate, and CO-OP. They are explained below.
Find Student Opportunities
Browse the websites below for job opportunities:
- Federal Work Study (Find out more about the program)
- CareerBuzz (Browse career-related opportunities for off-campus jobs)
- Georgia Tech CO-OP Office (Learn more about co-op and internship opportunities)
- Student Center Jobs (Browse jobs at the GT Student Center)
- Other Campus Jobs (Browse opportunities for on-campus jobs)
Techworks provides the ability for all Georgia Tech employees – faculty, staff and student employees – to view their HR data online. With just the click of a mouse, employees have convenient and secure access to their personal, payroll, and benefits information. For example, employees can use the system to:
- View and update personal contact information (e.g., name, address, phone, emergency contacts)
- View current and past earnings statements
- View compensation history
- View information about the benefits in which they are enrolled
- View and update direct deposit amounts and account information
- Change federal tax withholding