The Affordable Care Act (ACA) was created by the federal government to make medical insurance available to all Americans. Beginning January 1, 2014, the ACA requires all individuals to have health insurance coverage. Employees who do not have insurance through their workplace or a government plan such as Medicare can enroll in insurance through the federal Health Insurance Marketplace.
This notice is provided to all Georgia Tech faculty, staff, student, and temporary employees upon hiring.
View USG Notice >
The Health Insurance Marketplace is designed to help individuals find health insurance that meets their needs and budget.
Visit The Marketplace >
With the introduction of the Affordable Care Act, there are some important items to remember. Some of the key points to remember have been consolidated in the list below.
- Beginning January 1, 2014, the Affordable Care Act requires all individuals to have health insurance coverage or pay a penalty.
- If you are enrolled in healthcare coverage through the USG, you do not need to enroll in coverage through the Marketplace. If you want to continue the same coverage in 2014 or modify your existing coverage, you will need to re-enroll during Open Enrollment which is November 11 – November 22, 2013.
- If you are eligible for health coverage through the USG, but currently have not elected a plan, you may select coverage during Open Enrollment which is November 11 – November 22, 2013.
- If you are not eligible for the USG healthcare plans, you can get information about enrolling in health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace at the following website: https://www.healthcare.gov/families/. Georgia opted not to operate a Health Insurance Marketplace in 2014, and therefore, individuals in Georgia will utilize the federal marketplace.
- The University System of Georgia’s HSA Open Access POS plan meets the Affordability Requirement under the Affordable Care Act. Therefore, in general, University System of Georgia/Georgia Tech employees who are eligible for health insurance will not be eligible for a tax credit in 2014 through the Health Insurance Marketplace created under the Affordable Care Act.
If you have any questions about the USG medical plans, you may contact the Benefits team in the Office of Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).