E-3 Status for Professionals from Australia

E-3 Status - Non Immigrant summary Image

Who is eligible for E-3 status?

Australian nationals in specialty occupations (those requiring "the theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge") are eligible for E-3 status. Employment at GT with E-3 sponsorship may be available to (1) academic staff and (2) sponsored research staff members; Postdoctoral positions; and the positions of Research Scientist/Engineer. E-3 status is not suitable for permanent positions.

E-3 Procedure & Policy

Application Procedures

Global HR must file and receive a certified Labor Condition Application from the U.S. Department of Labor before a prospective employee may obtain an E-3 visa or be granted E-3 status. Only if there is a change of status or an extension of E-3 status does there need to be an I-129 petition filed with USCIS.  E-3 status may be granted for an initial two-year period, with indefinite two-year increment extensions possible.

 A GT appointment is only authorized once a scholar is admitted in E-3 status or USCIS has approved a change of status or change of employer. If an individual is in E-3 status for employment elsewhere, that individual is authorized for GT employment only if: GT files and obtains approval of an I-129 petition from USCIS; OR the individual leaves the US and reapplies for a visa.

Dependent E-3 Spouses and Children

The dependent spouse, and children under age 21, of an E-3 principal may be granted E-3 status. An E-3 dependent may apply for work authorization from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. E-3 spouses who are appointed to GT academic staff or sponsored research staff must possess valid employment authorization.