Regular communication is critical during the managing phase of the cycle. Through formal and informal conversations, both parties are kept abreast of progress toward the successful completion of goals and expectations. These discussions are also good opportunities to provide timely feedback and coaching.
Since the performance cycle spans several months, it is important to keep track of key performance highlights and challenges. These notes will help immensely when it’s time to discuss performance for the year.
- Keep notes in a journal or other system (e.g., tickler file) to record significant performance occurrences during the year
- Let employees know that you wish to regularly communicate throughout the year (both formally and informally) and demonstrate that commitment by being proactive and engaged when interacting
- Monitor progress on goals and be open to adjusting goals if circumstances warrant
- Schedule one-on-one meetings with employees at least monthly to formally discuss performance
- Conduct a mid-year performance evaluation