All jobs are categorized by an employment classification determined by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Learn more Georgia Tech Human Resources works within FLSA guidelines in evaluating the employment classifications of all staff and faculty positions. This takes place during the creation, or reclassification of positions.
These classifications are based on several factors such outlined in the federal regulations and Board of Regents rules as the actual job duties outlined in the job description, as well as the salary.
- Not eligible for overtime
- Must record exceptions to work (sick, vacation, jury duty, bereavement, etc.)
- Eligible for overtime
- Must record all hours worked in addition to absences
- Non-exempt employees must be paid for all hours worked.
How is Exemption determined?
Exemption is based on qualifying for all three of the following:
- Salary Basis: Employee must be paid on an annual salary basis;
- Minimum Salary Threshold Test: Employees must be paid above a salary threshold amount set by the Department of Labor; and
- Duty Tests: Employee must qualify as an Executive, Administrative, Professional, Computer Professional or other specialized dualities test.