Who should electronically submit/complete Form I-9?
- All new hires (citizens and noncitizens) or any person hired to perform labor or services in the United States for wages or other remuneration. Remuneration is anything of value given in exchange for labor or services, including food and lodging.
What is the information on Form I-9 used for?
- The information on Form I-9 is used to help employers verify if individuals are authorized to work in the United States.
Who will be able to access the information I submit for the Form I-9?
- The Office of Human Resources at GA Tech has designated HR Personnel along with the Office of Homeland Security and The Social Security Administration authorized to access your information.
I have two last names. How do I enter them on Form I-9?
- Two last (family) names: Enter both names in Last Name field
- Hyphenated last name: Include hyphen (-) between the Last Names
- Two first (given) names: Enter both names in First Name field
- Hyphenated first name: Include hyphen (-) between the First Names
- One name: Enter in Last Name field, Enter the word "Unknown" or N/A in the First Name field
If I change my name should I submit a new Form I-9?
- Yes, USCIS recommends that Form I-9 be maintained with correct information and therefore a new Form I-9 should be submitted.
Can I use a post office box as my address on Form I9?
If I change my address do I need to submit a new Form I-9?
What identification is needed for completing the Form I-9 process?
- Eligible forms of identification are listed at: http://www.ohr.gatech.edu/customerservice/I9Requirements.
Do I really need to complete the employee’s section of the Form I-9?
- Yes. If you are hired at Georgia Tech to perform labor or services in the United States for wages or other remuneration, you will need to complete the employee’s section of Form I-9.
Can someone help me complete the employee's section of Form I-9?
- Yes, but Preparer and/or Translator Certification may be required of the person assisting you.
I don’t have a computer. Can I complete the electronic Form I-9 when I come to OHR?
If I don’t complete Form I-9, will I be able to work at Georgia Tech?
- Form I-9 is included as part of the new hire packet and is required as a part of your on-boarding process at Georgia Tech. You will be required to submit Form I-9 by your first day of work for pay.
Can my roommate or a person I designate complete Form I-9 for me?
Is the information that I enter on Form I-9 secure?
- Yes. Only authorized GA Tech personnel will have access to your electronic record.
If I don’t have a social security card, will I be able to submit Form I-9?
- Yes. You may choose to use another eligible form of identification listed athttp://www.ohr.gatech.edu/customerservice/I9Requirements.
Can I submit the paper Form I-9 if I do not have access to a computer?
- No. Paper Form I-9's are no longer accepted after April 1, 2014. If you do not have access to a personal computer, you may complete the electronic Form I-9 on a public terminal at the Office of Human Resources.
If I receive an error message while completing Form I-9 ,what should I do?
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I need to include my email address on Form I-9?
- It is not required, but it is preferred. Providing an email address may make it easier for OHR to contact you if necessary.
Can I print a copy of Form I-9 and bring the copy to Human Resources?
- No. OHR no longer accepts paper Form I-9's as of April 1, 2014.
How long is my Form I-9 valid for employment at Georgia Tech?
- Your Form I-9 remains valid for as long as you are employed at Georgia Tech.
How often do I need to update Form I-9?
- You only need to update the form if your employment authorization documents have expired or changed.
I just became a permanent resident of the United States. Do I need to submit a new Form I-9?
- Yes. USCIS recommends that Form I-9 be maintained with correct information. Therefore, a new Form I-9 should be submitted.
I applied for a social security card and received it today. Should I complete Form I-9?
- For further instructions, bring your new social security card to the Georgia Tech Office of Human Resources.
Will I know immediately if I am eligible to work at Georgia Tech once I submit Form I-9?
- Yes, our HR Services Rep will inform you of your employment eligibility during your visit.
Why do I need to complete the electronic Form I-9?
- The electronic Form I-9 is a required part of the on-boarding process at Georgia Tech. Completing the form will ensure that Georgia Tech is in compliance with mandated federal & state regulations.
What if I accidentally submit my electronic Form I-9 with incorrect information?
- An HR Services Rep will assist you in correcting your information.
Which email address should I enter in Form I-9 (personal or GT)?
- Any email address that you currently have access to is acceptable.
I just became a citizen of the United States. Do I need to submit a new Form I-9?
- Yes, Georgia Tech requires that you update your status via the electronic Form I-9.
When (at what point in the hiring process) do I need to complete the electronic Form I-9?
- You may complete the electronic Form I-9 at any time during the hire process, prior to your visit to Human Resources. You may also complete the electronic Form I-9 upon your arrival at our office.
What happens if I get "stuck" part-way through the employee's section of the I-9 and cannot complete it?
- Our HR Services Rep will assist you. You may also email us at email@example.com.